Thursday, April 24, 2008

It's Not Kosher Being Green

urine.jpgDenmark-based Agroplast wants to transform pig urine into plastic dinnerware and household items. I don't follow kosher food laws, but if one does, would it be okay to eat with utensils made from pig anything? Why pig urine and not cow urine? Would it be okay to use cow urine utensils with meat dishes, but not with dairy?

Of course, the company proposes making many "bioplastic" items, not just pig forks ("porks"), but the reporter focused on the eating utensils to create the maximum "ewwww' factor. They could also make plastic containers, which adds another dimension to my Passover "Tupperware" dilemma. Can I put leftover chicken soup in Piggerware? I am going to have to consult the Talmud on this one.

The strangest part of the story is near the end: "Agroplast says its farm-friendly chemicals ... can be used ...'as a flavor enhancer in cigarettes'". I'm not a smoker but I don't doubt that pig urine tastes better than cigarettes. Would pig urine in a cigarette make it taste like smoked ham? Does it make sense for a concept intended to benefit the environment to be used to make smoking more attractive?

I have so many questions, but it does seem like an exciting new frontier. I can see myself having this conversation with a recent college graduate:

Me: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Me: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Me: Pig urine.
Benjamin: That's two words, sir.
Me: Say it fast, it sounds like one. Pig urine.
Benjamin: Just how do you mean that, sir?

No comments: