Saturday, February 14, 2009

What Type of Stereo Would You Like?


This Baby Blues joke depended on knowing that Wanda wanted to get out of the house because she's a mom, defined by being in the house all day, chained to the stove or where ever it is the Dad wants her to be. To get the joke, each of the others have to label themselves so you will understand the stereotype. Hammie is a "kid", so he likes toys, but Zoe is a "girl"; girls like specific, gender appropriate toys.

If we're going with generalizations, let's at least be honest.
Darryl: I liked the young mothers, particularly those whose breasts were swollen with milk.
Wanda: I appreciated you letting me out of the house other than to schlep the kids to school or soccer or a birthday party. I am so grateful to you that I didn't mind lugging the baby and the diaper bag and watching out for our kids because you were too busy staring at the young mothers, particularly those whose breasts were swollen with milk. You are dead meat when we get home.

For better or Worse is now in reruns, and recently looked back on those days of misguided women's liberationists:

That's it, John, let her know her proper place so that a generation later, Darryl can feel free to keep Wanda housebound and spend his time staring at the young mothers, particularly those whose breasts were swollen with milk.

8 comments:

Cali said...

I'll have the "crazy mormon" stereotype

Sue said...

I have to make a comment just to keep your blog from having the statement "1 comments". :-) I suppose that is the grammar nazi stereotype.

JohnnyB said...

Cali: "crazy Mormom" - is that redundant? ;-)

Susan: You know what they say, "once an English major, always an anal retentive."

JohnnyB said...

I meant "Mormon" not "Mormom"

JohnnyB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sue said...

I kind of like Mormom.

Anonymous said...

Does this come from personal experience? Have you been checking out young mothers, particularly those whose breasts were swollen with milk? ;)

JohnnyB said...

Rambler
I've never been in a store like that, so, no, it doesn't come from personal experience. What was the rest of your question?